And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:2

Wednesday, May 31, 2006


GETTING BACK IN SHAPE

One of the goals this year was to shed some weight and to get back (at least) to where I was when I moved to San Antonio nearly five years ago. This is a noble endeavor as are all endeavors for health, but this one has the added burden of being attempted in the enchilada center of the universe. Did I mention how much I love Mexican food? Someone needs to put together a manual for new arrivals to San Antonio with at least one caveat about the enormous calorie-intake potentials at the local Mexican eateries. No one told me eating a bowl of chips with salsa before the meal was like eating a loaf of bread. Lesson learned.

So, I'm getting back in shape. I still have a long way to go but I'm making progress. I also have the help of a wonderful trainer who I not only knows what she is doing but motivates me to think twice about everything I put in my mouth. If I don't, I will pay for it the next day. Some things you just can't hide.

The strategy boils down essentially to these three things:

1. Physical training - both cardio and weight training

2. Eating right - no more junky, fatty, empty foods. Only "clean" foods that are nutritious. I have learned to window shop at Whole Foods.

3. Breathing - believe it or not we all need to learn/relearn how to breathe.

The goal is to take off a couple of pounds per week which is happening. The amazing thing is that I have not had to go without any food. I might be onto something.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jinny said...

someone needs to update....

12:06 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home