And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Romans 5:2

Wednesday, May 31, 2006


CLEANING UP THE CLUTTER

A few weeks back I came home and found the hugely anticipated yellow flyer hanging on my front door. It was the city of San Antonio communicating what day they would be in my neighborhood helping me to minimize residential clutter. And so last Saturday the family and I cut down limbs from the many trees on our property and hauled them out to the curb. It’s amazing how nice the yard looks but you’ll have to wait until the mountain of limbs and leaves are hauled away before you can see it. You know, I really like this service the city provides. I like it a lot. Once or twice a year it’s good to have an opportunity to take a look around and deal with the clutter that has, well, cluttered up the scenery. I know some people may not like the idea because they feel it creates work for them but I really like the idea. It's not that I'm much of a minimalist but I think it’s healthy to look around from time to time and decide what needs to stay and what needs to go.

And what is good for yards, garages and desks is also good for the soul. Sometimes I think are lives get so cluttered with activities and unnecessary responsibilities that the true meaning of life gets hidden away behind all the limbs and leaves where it’s hard to see it. Or, at least, the things that have meaning do not nearly get the attention they deserve.

I ran across this old Celtic (I love to say "KELTIC")prayer that speaks from the heart for a lot of us.

Lord, help me now to unclutter my life.
To organize myself in the direction of simplicity.
Lord, teach me to listen to my heart;
teach me to welcome change, instead of fearing it.
Lord, i give you these stirrings inside me,
I give you my discontent,
I give you my restlessness,
I give you my doubt,
I give you my despair,
I give you all the longings i hold inside.
Help me to listen to these signs of change, of growth;
to listen seriously and follow where they lead
through the breathtaking empty space of an open door.

That's a good prayer. Happy uncluttering!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home